The ION® (Individual Optimal Nutrition) Profile
The ION® (Individual Optimal Nutrition) is a combination of nutritional tests that measure levels vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and organic, fatty and amino acids. Using the combination of nutritional testing profiles, the ION® offers a complete evaluation of nutritional functions that impact patients' mental and physical well-being. This ION™ Profile with 40 Amino Acids is a combination of analyses that measures levels of organic acids, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, with a specific focus on amino acid absorption and imbalances.
Over time, functional nutritional deficiencies can result in a variety of chronic health conditions. The ION® nutritional testing profile can help determine the basis for these conditions.
Why the need for individual nutritional testing?
The ION® nutritional profile is helpful in cases of:
- Heart Disease: where deficiencies of magnesium, taurine, carnitine, fatty acids and other important substances commonly accompany heart disease.
- Obesity and Weight Issues: often people battling obesity and weight issues have multiple nutritional deficiencies. Dietary improvement and nutritional supplementation based on ION® test results help many achieve more active metabolism. In the process, they are able to eliminate excess fat and fluid.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an enigmatic disorder that frequently involves mitochondrial inefficiencies (deficits in cellular energy production) that can be revealed by comparing the organic acids, amino acids, and minerals test results.
- Immune System Disorders: where nutritional deficiencies come in a wide variety, from amino acids to fatty acids to zinc.
- Mood Disorders: often have underlying biochemical imbalances which are revealed by testing for organic acids, amino acids, minerals, and fatty acids.
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivities: functional nutrient levels are affected, including many of those involved in cellular respiration. The ION® profile can determine where imbalances occur.
What does the ION® nutritional test show?
- Organix nutritional test profile - reveals nutritional and metabolic impairments
- Amino Acid nutritional test profile - determines essential amino acid imbalances that affect both physical and mental function
- Nutrient and Toxic Element test profile - identifies a patient's toxic burden and mineral status
- Fatty Acid nutritional test profile - helps identify the right balance of fatty acids that can impact health and development
- Antioxidant Vitamins test - measures vitamins involved in antioxidant functions
- Coenzyme Q10 nutritional test - measures total body status of this antioxidant nutrient and energy pathway cofactor
- Lipid Peroxides nutritional test - measures total serum lipid peroxidation, an indication of whole body free radical activity
- Homocysteine test - identifies total homocysteine in plasma and elevated levels are an independent risk factor for premature cardiovascular disease and atherothrombotic cerebrovascular disease
What samples will I need for the test:
Serum, ~9 ml (3 tubes, ~3 ml each), frozen; Plasma, 2.5 - 3 ml, frozen; Whole Blood, room temperature; Overnight Urine, 12 ml, frozen
What's included in the price for test kits?
The price of the tests includes test kit, shipping, lab analysis, and in some cases a written interpretation of the results along with a protocol of amino acids and supplements to use based on your particular needs by a nutritional consultant. Some tests will provide analysis without professional interpretation.
We will arrange for delivery of your kit once you have provided payment to the Pain Stress Center. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover (or check or money order in advance). Checks are subject to a 5-day hold before a kit is sent to you. You will receive a receipt from Pain & Stress Center showing proof of payment along with a Nutritional Consult/New Patient Form regarding your health and symptoms.
The kit is sent to you directly from Genova Diagnostics Lab in High Point, NC. Directions in the kit are very straight-forward, easy to understand. Your kit comes with a FedEx prepaid expedited lab jet pack designed to carry medical collection. The specimen must be returned back to Genova Diagnostics (not Pain & Stress Center) next day; so arrange to provide the specimen Sunday through Thursday, since the lab is not open on weekends.
Do I have to make an appointment with my doctor to procure my sample?
Some yes and some no. The urine, saliva, blood spot, buccal rinse, stool, and hair specimens can be easily acquired by you in your home, whereas the serum and blood draw requires a trip to a doctor’s office or lab. The kit comes with a lab slip should you opt for the blood test. Any draw fees or processing fee through the doctor’s office or lab are your responsibility.
Will I see the test results?
We receive two copies of your diagnostic test results back in our office 14-21 days after you’ve sent the specimen to Genova Lab. We will evaluate the results and set up a written program for you to follow. Items we recommend can be purchased through Pain & Stress Center. Once interpreted and formatted you will receive a copy of recommendations along with a copy of your test results by USPS or email. If your particular test does not require interpretation, we will forward just the test results directly to you.
I am trying to put the test kit in my cart but your website won't let me buy it?
There are many tests that we offer that are not eligable to be sent to New York or Ohio. If you live in one of those states you will not be able to buy some of the test kit from us.
I changed my mind I don't want to do the test and I want a refund.
We will gladly issue refunds within 90 days of your purchase. We will do no exchnages or refunds beyond 90 days.
I did the test wrong or the lab says my sample is deteriorated, what now?
If you did your test wrong at home and need to start over, we can send you a new test kit if the original purchase is within 90 days.
If the lab cannot use your sample we will send you a new test kit as long as it falls within the 90 days of purchase.
Will my insurance cover this?
We do not take insurance, you will have to contact your insurance company for potential reimbursement.
Product Return Policy
You may return Unopened Bottles to Pain & Stress Center Products within 30 days of invoice. We do not offer refunds on products that have been opened. Please call for a return authorization number.
We charge a 20% restocking/handling fee for product returns less shipping. Shipping fees are not refundable.
PROBLEMS OR CONCERNS
If there is a problem with any product, please call 1-800-669-2256 and talk with one of our customer representatives.
†These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Statements are not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure any disease.